Saturday, July 25, 2009

Day 2, the making of....

so, here it is, two days into the dream, the plan. i put emails out to the rhythm section, james gadson [drums] and reggie mcbride [bass]. as of a minute ago, I've heard back from both of them and they are free at the beginning of september. I've just emailed john porter who will be producing and let him know their availability. I think i'll give john a call as well, just to make sure he got my email. I know he's busy and may not always have time to check.
so, now i'm getting excited. the next plan is to get a studio lined up. we do have options: shangri-la, out in malibu. this is a great studio, although it's a little out of the way for james and reggie. i worked there with clapton a long time ago and went to revisit it a few weeks ago. it's been remodeled, but the basic bones are still there. this guy beej is now managing it and he's restored it very nicely. got lots of cool vintage amps and mics, though i'm told some of the equipment may not be working properly. but the vibe is very, very cool, quiet, secluded, inspirational. walk out the back door and your about 2 blocks from the pacific, you can see it in the backyard. oooooo. there are a few other options too; the "house of blues" studio in encino and two other possibilities, all fantastic with cool vintage gear to make my record sound as warm and fuzzy as i want it to. oh, i learned something interesting about shangri-la yesterday: it used to be a whorehouse back in the 50's! wow. it was also the location where they shot a well known tv series here in the U.S. called, "mr ed" about a talking horse. the little guest house where they filmed it is right near the entrance and you can see the door that opened in the middle where mr. ed used to hang out, yahoo. very cool.
ah, one last thing. I should mention, I do not have a label behind me. I am just doing this all on a shoestring, favors, whatever I can. these days, lots of well known artists are doing things themselves since the record industry has changed so much. labels are not as quick to sign acts so many are just taking it upon themselves to produce and fund their own music. right now, for me it's going to involve some funding. I am going to do what a fellow artist friend of mine named janet robin did. get some sponsorship. I'm gonna put it out there and ask fans, friends, business associates if they would like to become a financial sponsor to my project. that will start formally in a few weeks.

I'm feeling very positive about it all. I'll be doing this blogging every day and i will add new elements like little videos and some music periodically. sounds like fun to me....!

i'll report back tomorrow.

with love;

marcy x

No comments: