Tuesday, August 18, 2009

day 27..."the making of......"

wow, can't believe it's nearly 4 weeks since i started this! well, unfortunately, this little bug took me down a bit longer than i wanted it to. but such is life on planet earth. slowly feeling better. prepared some song files for someone who has a label today that wants his artists to do some of my songs. that seemed like hard work cuz i wasn't feeling up to par. so, have been assuming the position of: "gee, I feel great!" with a huge plastered on over the top smile on my face :-),,,ha ha. so, onward and upward, since for now that is the only place to be.
tomorrow, i will contact jp and then the band to give a start time for the recording. it's getting closer. in fact, as soon as i've done this little "bloggett" i'll email john with a request for a start time.
and now, i'm going to divulge a little secret :
originally, my plan was to do this recording with the help of my fans, or rather supporters. I was going to ask for donations and in return, offer some sort of reward, like i'd put your name on my cd, give away free songs, merchandise. i was going to do that if i was doing an entire album, following the example of my friend janet robin-who, by the way, was able to raise over 14k dollars to do a whole album, pretty good. but as i'm not doing an album, let alone, no physical release as of yet, it would be hard to put anyone's name on a digital download! maybe there's a clever way of doing that, who knows???? do you??? but now, since i'm just going to do an ep, taking it one step at a time, i'm looking into other options. i do already have a company lined up to do an online release. this could possibly turn into physical sales depending on numbers sold. all in all, i think i will keep going in this direction. i also have been approached by someone else, could also be very interesting and promising.
of course, if anyone is actually reading this, I'd like to hear your feedback on the idea of taking donations, i.e., raising money to record and also any suggestions for what I could offer in return for donations: free mp3's of unheard or unpublished material, a sliding scale of merchandise, or rewards, depending on the amount of the donation? [oh, no sexual favors, in any way shape or form!!!]
I'd love to hear any feedback. cuz, the internet is potentially full of many onlookers, but right now, for all i know, I could really be in this alone!! :-)

love always;

marcy x

4 comments:

Anyism said...

Hi Marcy,

Just wanted you to know there are people reading your blog, I did post a link a couple of weeks ago on my facebook, it got a few thumbs up! As for feedback, I am empty at this point, usually I have an opinion about everything! Just too wrapped up in Politics and Hormones to be an effective thinker right now.. lol in the meantime

Keep on trudging!

Unknown said...

Hey,

I think people would be more than happy to donate money to your project, it's a great way to get your fans involved & make them feel a part of something, as well as being beneficial to yourself.

I guess you could have a little vote on whether people would like their name mentioned or a couple of free songs etc? cos it's hard to please everyone. It's a toughy!

I hope all goes well for you, loving your blog.

Take care,
Rachel.x

Gat said...

Hi Marcy,

It's good to see things progressing really well for you.

How about a 'CD Membership' scheme - people join and pay a set fee which goes towards financing the CD. In return, they get one free signed copy of the CD, (you can get just a few made) and a name check on a special page on your website. People who like you and your music will support you without asking too much in return.

As to how much the membership would be, well, that's a difficult decision - maybe have a minimum fee and let people decide themselves how much they would like to pay over and above that?

Something to consider anyway.

All the best,

Graham Allman-Talbot

Thomas Abthorpe said...

I like the idea of advance selling your songs to your loyal fans to fund raise for the work you need to do.

Public acknowledgemet is not necessarily necessary.

Thomas